Friday 24 June 2011

friday poem fanclub #37: The one where I sleep in, buy a spare bubble-gun and dream of electric croissants

(written 24 June 2011)

After staying up late at the vodka again
I retired upon this gruesome morn
to my bed for another half hour
the wife so strong sent the children to school
and the congress of noise - of clattering heels and shouted appeals
and left behind meals,
emptied and drifted away
the last I heard was the bitter complaints of the failure of legs and the growing of knees
and then finally quiet,
so persian and pleasant
a desert of silence was mine

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Pretty much I think what I’m looking for in life is computer games and fucking. This is a very popular life-goal with most people – ask around. When I drive to work I like roads with trees. In our neighbourhood there are lots of roads where the trees are in the road – they're on the side of the road, but they’re definitely not on the pavement – they’re in the road. I think this beats a road that doesn’t have trees in it – it is fairly straightforward. It’s a pity that Tennis biscuits aren’t as nice as EetSumMore’s. I have a packet of Tennis biscuits on the desk, but no EetSumMore’s. Our car got stolen last week by a person who steals cars. So our friend has been lending us her car. It has sodium-yellow headlights which is sufficiently close encounters to make any journey an adventure into the unknown. In addition the car has the steering wheel on the left hand side, so when you want to drive the car, you get in on the left side. The hand brake is on the right. It is an automatic, so it doesn’t matter where the gearstick is. Driving it feels like riding a rodeo bull.

We are going to Paris on Sunday. Avez-vous un croissant? I cannot wait. I am going for the croissants. I am also going for the full on amazement of seeing something completely new before my eyes, so my brain can remember that it is the size of a cathedral, not a carpet-bag steak. They said that a toasted ham & cheese sandwich is called a croque-monsieur in French. The  French-English phrase-book agrees with this notion but fails spectacularly to explain this shining example of joy in the universe. Happily it doesn’t really translate: I’d like a crusty mister on white please. We have like 50 pins on Google Earth and we have street-viewed around our neighbourhood, the site of a remarkable restaurant recommendation, Michele's old school, and the Champs Elysees – although I suspect the toilets that turn themselves inside out and steam clean themselves are a myth. We are taking a turn by a building that has a cannonball stuck in the side of it.

So I got into the left-hand drive and pushed the cassette into the cassette player and it had Jimi Hendrix playing the Star Spangled Banner which is just the most fucking radical shit out there. Most things that are radical are kind of cool and maybe a bit twisted but this really is off the fucking wall insane motherfucking shit – especially when the cassette sounds like it is trying to run a washing machine at the same time as play you some music. It sounds like the sky turned to concrete and cracked up and came raining down. Shoe.
2 bubble-guns is better than 1 bubble gun,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment